The best hair wash tips for you
Washing your hair is one of life’s necessities, and as a result it can quickly turn into a mindless routine like brushing your teeth or driving to work. Consequently, it may come as a surprise to some people that there is in fact a correct way to wash hair. Putting a little bit of extra time and thought into how to wash your hair can have big results, not least by improving its health and appearance. Although the frequency with which you wash your hair should be determined by your hair type and the products you use, there is a specific technique that should be followed every time. Here we’ll walk you through how to shampoo hair for best results with a few bonus hair wash tips to ensure it stays looking fresh and clean long after.
Step-by-step: How to wash hair
- Preparation: Make sure you are using the best shampoo for your hair type and comb out any residual styling products that may be in your hair before washing.
- Water & Shampoo: Wet your hair with lukewarm water – not hot! – so that it is thoroughly wet through. Gently squeeze out the excess. Add a dime-sized amount of shampoo to your palm: about the volume of a hazelnut should be enough for short to medium hair, but when washing long hair adjust this amount accordingly.
- Application: Apply the shampoo directly to the roots and massage into the scalp. Pay particular attention to the area at the nape of the neck as this often gets overlooked. Once your roots are suitably covered, use the lather to gently massage the shampoo down to your hair ends.
- Rinse: Completely rinse the product from your hair again using lukewarm water. Squeeze the hair with your hands during the rinse. You’ll know when you’re finished when the water runs clear and the hair feels "squeaky" clean.
- Condition: For people washing long hair, curls or hair that is prone to frizziness, using conditioner can help add valuable moisture and assists with teasing out tangles. Use a quarter-sized amount and apply to the ends of the hair. Use your fingers to comb it through the tresses and gently work it up to the roots. Rinse the product out the same as with shampoo.
- Combing: Comb hair using a wide-toothed comb or simply with your fingers. Tease tangles out gently; never try to rip through a knot.
- Final rinse: Give your hair a final rinse with cool water. Washing hair in cold water feels exhilarating and stimulates the blood circulation, while simultaneously sealing the hair cuticle and leaving your strands extra smooth and shiny.
Hair wash tips for extra TLC
When it comes to picking the right product to wash your hair, you’ll want to assess your hair’s natural condition and certain other factors. For instance, anyone with damaged or dull hair should use the GLISS® Ultimate Repair Shampoo for keratin therapy that will promote the hair’s shine and strength. If you frequently use chemical or heat treatments on your hair, you’ll want to try the GLISS® Fiver Therapy Shampoo for deep reconstructive work to the hair shaft. Not only will this help to repair the hair fibers but it will also nourish them for a healthy glow. Finally, if you regularly color your hair, opt for the GLISS® Color Guard Shampoo to protect your color and prevent fading.
Equipped with the right products and knowing the best way to shampoo hair will ensure top results every time. One final tip: try to only wash your hair every two to three days with a cleanser. The agents can be harsh for daily use and will serve to weaken the strands in the long-run.