Dare to be bold with mermaid hair
Achieving mermaid hair color takes a bit more effort than other colors but the end result is certainly worth it, as your hair will shimmer and shine like no one else's. Mermaid hair works great because it’s a dazzling array of colors that flawlessly intertwine with each other, so the tones can look different no matter which angle your hair is seen from. Sometimes called unicorn hair or rainbow hair, this is a trend worth trying out if you dare to be bold.
Thankfully, you don't need to be Ariel from The Little Mermaid to try out this look! For achieving DIY mermaid hair, you're going to want to remember a few key things before getting started.
How to get mermaid hair: top tips
- Hair experts recommend not washing your hair for three days prior to dyeing, as your hair's natural oils help the lightening process.
- Unless your hair is already very light, using bleach first is recommended.
- Ensure your hair is brushed to remove any tangles before applying the color.
- Mermaid hair color works on many levels, so if you want 70% blue, 20% green, and 10% purple, then you should make that choice! Some might be inspired by Ariel’s red hair color and prefer to go for specifically one shade to make the process simpler, but your taste will dictate the results.
- If you like the idea of ombre mermaid hair, then you can mix the hair dye with conditioner. It's best to have all the colors you'd like separated into different bowls.
- Follow all the instructions on the hair dye kit very carefully! Use petroleum jelly on your forehead, neck and ears to avoid the dye touching the skin.
- Always use specially formulated shampoo for colored hair afterwards.
Who exactly is mermaid hair for?
Anyone who wants to be noticed! Mermaid color hair is certainly not subtle, but if you enjoy standing out from the crowd, then this hair trend is for you. It is generally worn with long hairstyles, but even people with short cuts can try it out. As a general rule, fair skin tones work well with sunset tones, olive skin fits bright blues and emerald greens, and dark skin looks great with deep reds. However, the good thing about mermaid dyed hair is that rules go out the window and you can design your hair in a completely unique way. Celebs such as Cardi B, Gigi Hadid and Kylie Jenner have all tried out the trend with great results. Get started and discover your new look!