There’s a new wave trend happening and it’s blowing the minds of the beauty world insiders. It’s the technique for getting an easy cool, effortless style, in other words, the perfect lazy-girl hair. The ‘Scandi Wave’ uses a flat iron in a brand new way — sort of like how women used to use bobby pins to create pin curls. Instead of pin curls, the Scandi Wave takes sections of hair and bends them into an “S” shape, then taps the section with the heated flat iron in order to create the waves. The result is flatter-to-your-face, more minimalistic waves. Below we break down the hot new trend, in our step-by-step guide to the perfect Scandi Waves.
- Step 1: Start by pinning the top part of your hair up and leaving out the lower one to two inches of hair, so the top doesn’t get in your way as you work in horizontal sections.
- Step 2: To create the S wave, start off by pulling up the first section of your hair. Keep the sections on the smaller side so that you have more control.
- Step 3: Push your hair into the first curve. If you’re not getting the shapeyou want, you can use your other hand and two fingers to help shape the curve.
- Step 4: Once the curve shape is in place, grab your flat iron and carefully tap over the curve to help set that shape.
- Step 5: From here, you can either continue to push the hair into the next counter curve (which creates your first “S” shape) or you can drop your flat iron and use both hands to create the shape. Tap over this new curve with your flat iron. Repeat this process until you get toward the ends of your hair.
- Step 6: Once you get to the ends it’s actually easier to use your flat iron to hold your hair in place as you use your fingers to push your hair into the final counter curve and then tap your flat iron over it.
- Step 7: Continue this process with each subsection of your hair.
- Step 8: Once you get to the back it can get a little tricky, but setting up a mirror in front and behind you so you can see what you’re doing makes it a little easier. Or if you’re feeling extra creative, you can just feel it out and go for it.
- Step 9: Add you favorite Schwarzkopf styliste ULTIME product (we recommend styliste ULTIME Biotin+ Volume Magic Volume Power!) and then shake your fingers through your hair to loosen and separate the waves.
The most important thing to note about the Scandi Wave is the way that you only have to tap the flat iron along the “S” wave, without holding it in the “S” pattern for a long time. With certain flat irons reaching heat levels of 400 degrees Fahrenheit and hotter, it’s a smart idea not to burn your hair off in a quest for the perfect Scandi Wave!