With its volume and texture, curly hair is amazing. But like all hair types, it comes with its own set of hurdles to manage. Add the onset of the windy weather this season brings, and your curly hair is in need of a little extra love. Get the inside scoop on the do’s and don’ts of styling natural curls here.
- The brush matters. Curly hair requires different tools than straight hair because of the shape and texture. To avoid breakage and painful tangles that are impossible to work through, use a slightly flexible flat brush so that your hair doesn’t get yanked out when it encounters a tangle.
- Brush your curls when your hair is wet. Never brush dry curls because this will break up the curl, cause frizz, and damage your hair. Use a wide-toothed comb or that flexible flat brush like the one mentioned above while you’re conditioning it. This is key because slick, conditioned hair is often the easiest to de-tangle.
- Hydrating products are your curls’ BFF: Your hair is not a one-size-fits-all deal; everyone is different and the products you use with curly hair should reflect that. Stick with the Schwarzkopf essence ULTIME Amber+ Oil Nutrition Shampoo and Conditioner - your curls will drink it UP.
- A diffuser on a cold setting is a must have: A good diffuser allows you to quickly dry your curls while minimizing frizz and keeping your hands out of your hair (something curly-haired ladies should avoid). It concentrates the stream of air so that it’s easier to target a specific area. Blow your hair about 80% dry using the hot setting and then use the cold setting to seal the cuticle, which leads to less frizz.
- Get frequent trims: All hair types are prone to breakage, but curls can be a bit unforgiving when it comes to showing that damage. This is where trims come into play. Try to stick to a monthly trimming routine during cooler months, since hair tends to be particularly dry during this time. Once it warms up, waiting every three months for a trim is fine.
- Be sure to deep condition: You should use a deep conditioner at least once each month to inject moisture back into your locks. If you have particularly dry hair, increase your frequency to two to three times per month. Schwarzkopf essence ULTIME Omega Repair 60 Second Treatment is a great option.
Curly hair is amazing because it gives off a totally carefree vibe, but anyone with natural curls knows that work that goes into keeping them healthy and looking good is easier said than done. Refine your curly hair care routine with our expert hair hacks, and make sure you have all your favorites from the Schwarzkopf essence ULTIME Amber+ Oil Nutrition and Omega Repair lines!