- Get a haircut. It’s always best to get a trim right before the start of summer. The sun will do extra damage to hair that’s already dry, so if you remove those dead ends at the beginning of the season, you’ll be in better shape by the end. Try and stretch out your next cut until summer is over, then book an appointment with your stylist for a deep conditioning treatment, and fresh haircut.
- Always use a UV-shielding product like Schwarzkopf essence ULTIME Diamond Color Shine Spray before hitting the sun. This can help prevent highlighted hair from lightening too quickly and looking fried, and can keep dark hair from turning brassy or red. Keep in mind that UV protecting products always need to be applied to damp hair. Otherwise, they’ll sit on the surface and won’t sink into the hair. If you’ve been out in the sun and forgot to protect your hair, you can still give it the nourishment it needs by using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner like the ones from the Schwarzkopf essence ULTIME Omega Repair line.
- Dampen your locks. Spray some water on your hair before you go into the pool or ocean. It adds an extra layer of coating, so when you hit the water, you won’t have this huge concentration of chlorine or salt water blast your hair and dry it out.
- Brush carefully. Since hair is most fragile when it’s wet, don’t rip a brush through it after swimming. Add some Schwarzkopf essence ULTIME Omega Repair 11-in-1 Leave-In to it, and then use a wide-tooth comb to minimize breakage.
- Pay attention to how you’re putting your hair up. A ponytail with no part not only keeps your hair out of the way when it’s mega-hot out, but can protect your scalp from exposure to the sun. The problem is that pulling it too tight can cause hair to break. And pulling your hair back when it’s wet is even more damaging. Aim for loose buns and ponytails, and let your hair down before going to sleep at night. Alternate the way you put it up, too. That way, you’re not always stressing the same strands.
- Wear a hat or turban. This is one of the ways to protect your hair from the sun’s rays. Not to mention, a colorful turban or wide-brim floppy hat by the pool or on the beach is the easiest way to look effortless and chic. You can also opt for going the old Hollywood glamour route and wrap your hair in a vintage scarf.
Warm weather. Waves. Sun. All the best parts of summer can also do the most damage to your beauty game. Be smart this season when it comes to protecting your hair from the elements. Stock up on your favorite Schwarzkopf products and follow our tips for your best summer hair yet.