Facts About Hair: Learn All About It
Coming in so many different styles, lengths, colors, and textures, hair is not only beautiful to look at, but serves a variety of useful functions as well. We’ll provide some fascinating information about hair and make you appreciate your locks a lot more! For instance, hair helps protect us against UV rays and assists with regulating our body temperature!
We often think about how we’re going to style our hair for the day, but it’s also important to consider important hair facts and truly understand what it is exactly that covers our heads.
All you need to know about hair
- There are around 80,000 to 120,000 hairs on the average human head. But this can vary depending on hair color, as blondes are said to have roughly 150,000 strands and redheads have close to 90,000 on average.
- Another interesting hair fact is that it grows roughly 6 inches every year, and male hair is said to grow faster than female hair.
- We lose anywhere from 50 to 100 hairs every day.
- Black or brown hair is the most common color, as around 90% of the human population has one of these colors. Red is rare at 1% and blonde is about 2%.
Hair facts: did you learn something new today?
- Think that’s all the information about hair? Guess again! Water can change our hair in dramatic ways. Wet hair stretches about 30% longer and weighs around 15% more.
- Hair is primarily made up of keratin, which is actually the same protein found in the horns, claws, hooves, feathers, and beaks of animals.
- The facts about hair don’t stop there, as it’s true that hair grows faster in warmer weather because heat encourages circulation and promotes growth.
- When a hair is plucked from the root, a new one begins to grow.
- Want some hair facts about split ends? The scientific term is called "trichoptilosis".
More hair information that’s good to know
If you’re keen to understand some more hair facts, then read on. Going swimming? Learn about how to protect hair from chlorine and some general hair care tips afterwards. While you’re at it, discover tips for how to get rid of dandruff to keep your hair from being dry. If you love to color your hair blonde, try out something like Schwarzkopf Keratin Color Light Pearl Blonde but first get advice for how to bleach hair safely and securely.