Glass hair trend FAQs
So what is glass hair all about and where did it start?
Glass hair is the term coined to refer to extremely sharp and bluntly cut hair styled poker straight with a high gloss finish. Typically, the hair is cut jaw-length evenly around the whole head to maximize the effect. Elements of the glass hair trend have been around for decades, with stylists always experimenting with ways to produce straighter or shinier hair. The term ‘glass hair’, however, was first used in 2018 and thereafter really took off on social media platforms.
Why is glass hair so on-trend right now?
It’s hard to say for sure, but most stylists agree there’s a certain public malaise about the endless different incarnations of beach waves hair and boho styles. With the rise of athleisure fashion and street style, many women are looking for slick, sharp hairstyles to suit their clean lines aesthetic. What’s more, with the revival of all things 90s, the glass hair trend gives a retro cut a modern feel.
Who are the biggest followers of glass hair?
Kim Kardashian has led the style pack when it comes to debuting her glass haircut out and about, although a number of other big names have equally followed suit. To name just a few: Jourdan Dunn, Bella Hadid, Dua Lipa, Khloe Kardashian, and Hailey Baldwin have all been seen rocking this high-gloss look.
Try out glass hair for yourself
If you want to join the ranks of A-listers and step out with your own glass haircut, then we’ve broken down the main steps for you here.
- Get the right cut. Glass hair is hard to achieve with layered hair as it doesn’t reflect light with the same flat sheen. Opt for a geometric cut that’s even the whole way around for best results.
- Use appropriate shampoo and conditioner. Pick products that will help lock in moisture, smooth your hair and keep frizz at bay.
- Blow-dry with correct technique. Blow-drying is arguably the most important factor for getting perfect glass hair: make sure to angle the hot air down the hair shaft so that the cuticle layer is sealed flat and smooth.
- Use a flat iron on top. After blow-drying, apply a heat protectant and separate hair into small sections. Then use a flat iron with a paddle brush to complete the straightening process.
- Finish with product. In order to get the mega gloss finish of glass hair, product is essential. Use a lightweight oil and some hairspray for the ultimate combination of shine and hold. Don’t overload the hair by applying it directly, instead, add some to a comb and brush it through gently.