Brushed-out curls are all the rage, from the red carpet to prom nights and other special events. They’re perfect for transforming your ‘do, providing it with volume and texture that looks and feels natural yet refined, and is super easy to maintain. This look is great for any hair length, from bob haircuts to ultra-long. By brushing the curls out, curled hairstyles move away from that Shirley Temple look and towards refined and soft cascading waves.
To find the perfect brushed-out hair look for your style, feel free to play around with hair accessories like stylish barrettes and hair clips. See how parting your hair differently can enhance this look. Adding statement earrings is also a great way to play around with this glam hairstyle.
How to style brushed-out curls
Achieving the elegant brushed-out curl look is easy. Just follow these steps:
- Begin by brushing out your hair using the best hair brush for your hair type. As mentioned above, this style works especially well for hair that hasn’t been freshly washed.
- Apply a heat protectant to your hair to prevent your locks from being damaged during the styling process.
- Divide your hair into sections and curl your hair using a curling iron. For longer, softer curls that more resemble waves, don’t curl your hair too tightly.
- Comb through your curls from the underside of the hair using a wide-toothed comb. This will separate the curls, adding plenty of volume to create the brushed-out curls look.
- For some extra volume, feel free to tease your crown a bit. Alternatively, you can play around with the hair part. A side part will provide a more glam look, whereas a middle part will give your curls a more carefree vibe.
- Complete the look with a volumizing finishing hairspray and any hair accessories of your choice.