Step-by-step guide: How to use a hair donut
Step 1. Brush your hair well and pull it back into a ponytail. Take into consideration that where you place the ponytail will determine your bun's final position. Go high for a ballerina look, low to be extra chic, or to the side for a playful style.
Step 2. Pull your ponytail through the middle of the donut.
Step 3. Distribute your ponytail evenly around the hair donut so that it’s totally covered. The donut’s mesh material makes it easy to feel which parts have yet to be covered.
Step 4. While holding the bun in place with one hand, start to wind the remainder of your hair around the hair donut.
Step 5. Tuck the hair under the bun and use bobby pins to keep the strands in place. The bobby pins can be pushed right through the hair donut.
Step 6. This part is up to you! Either smooth out the bun and pin down any stray hairs to make it as tidy as possible, or if you’d rather go for the messy look, do the opposite and pull some strands out. Finish off with some hairspray so the look lasts as long as possible.
How to get the most out of your hair donut
Hair donuts are so much easier to use than they look, but it may take a bit of practice before you get the style just right. Here are some extra tips on how to use your hair donut.
- If you’re going for a sleek look, you can use a scrunchie to cover up messy patches around the bun.
- If your hair is quite long, you could even braid the hair around the bun. This would also ensure that flyaways are held in place.
- Although the ponytail, and therefore the bun, should be as tight as possible so it doesn’t fall out, don’t make it ridiculously tight otherwise you could give yourself a headache.
- Add some extra sass to the donut bun hairstyle by leaving two front stands loose before you begin. Once you’ve completed your bun at the back, braid the two strands, and then wrap them around your head, securing them in place with bobby pins. This creates a halo effect and makes the style look even more eye-catching.
- If you do this hairstyle while your hair is still damp and then sleep on it, the next morning you’ll have wonderful beach waves with no curling iron in sight.