Six hair hacks for creating flawless flat iron waves
For those of us with storage space as limited as our budgets, we’re fortunate enough that there is really only one hot styling tool needed these days. Thanks to hair stylists and vloggers, we now know that the trusty flat iron can create flawless waves just as easily as pin-straight strands. Unfortunately, the ease of creating curls with just a flick of their wrists doesn’t always translate when you’re trying it at home. We have six foolproof methods for using the flat iron to create waves that even the most straightener-challenged can master.
1. Prep your hair. Make sure you start with dry hair, using a flat iron around 1” thick and heated to 300 degrees. Spritz your hair with Schwarzkopf styliste ULTIME Crystal Shine Heat Protection Spray to minimize any heat damage.
2. Create bends in your hair by feeding your hair into your flat iron in an "S" formation. Start by dropping the middle of a section of hair into the iron to create the first bend. Then, feed the piece in between the flat iron clamps in an "S" curve formation, clamping down on the shape to create the bends. Repeat to the ends.
3. Use the twirl-and-pull method to make waves. Holding your iron at an angle, insert a 1.5”-long section of hair between the clamps, turning it away from your face to create the first bend. Then, gently slide the iron down the section of hair before twirling the iron away from your face again. Repeat this method until you reach your ends, leaving them straight for an unfinished look. Finally, once your entire head is done, run your fingers through your "loose curls" to make them more wave-like.
4. Bend your wrist back and forth to create waves. Holding your hair horizontally from your head, turn your wrist away from your hair and then down as you move down the section of hair. Next, bend your wrist back toward your hair, creating not-quite-curled texture.
5. Braid your hair and then run a flat iron over it a few times. This will create perfectly imperfect beach waves.
6. Pin-curl your hair up after you've made waves to keep your style intact longer. If your hair doesn't usually hold a wave, this trick will help keep it all day long. After waving your hair with your flat iron (using any of the methods above), let it cool and then roll a 1” section into a pin curl. Secure it with bobby pins if you're going to sleep in your style, or use duck bill clips if you're just letting your hair cool while you do your makeup. The longer you let your hair set, the longer your waves will last.
With our six flat iron wave hair hacks, flawless waves are just a few flicks of the wrist away. Be sure to lock in your flat iron waves with Schwarzkopf styliste ULTIME Crystal Shine Hair Spray and you’ll master the look in no time.