The Long and Short of Curls
- Model Selita Ebanks wears her copious curls in a semi-updo
- © Getty Images
No matter how you wear your curls, they perk up your hairstyle and add alluring feminine charm to your appearance. We hope our gallery of large and small, long and short curls inspire your next hairstyle choices
Dependent on the hair length and the styling, curls can look sensuous, romantic, sassy or wild.
Did Mother Nature fail to give you curls? No problem! Simply create them using curlers, foam curlers or a curling iron. Our styling instructions explain how to style beautiful curls using everybody's favorite styling aid, the curling iron.
Hair Curling Instructions
2. Blow-dry your hair (holding the blow dryer in safe distance from your hair) before using the curling iron. Starting on top of the head, separate a strand of hair, spray the strand with heat protectant and roll it around the curling iron. Wait a few seconds before pulling the curling iron out of the newly formed curl. Repeat the process as often as required.
Tip: If you want to curl only the ends of your hair roll the strands of your hair around the curling iron only up to ear level.
You can create particularly lively looking curls by rolling strands of different thicknesses onto the curling iron and also useing different diameter curling irons. Curls look endearingly unruly if you alternate rolling them in different directions.
In case you prefer a more organized look, roll up your hair only in one direction (inward or outward).
3. Curl individual strands of hair starting on top of your head; then work your way toward the neckline. You may loosely secure the newly formed curls with clips to hold them in shape and keep them out of the way.
4. Newly formed curls must cool down thoroughly before you can remove the clips. Shake the curls in shape while hanging your head upside down. Alternatively, you can style the curls by running your hands through your hair. You may wish to shape your hair into a defined look using your fingers. Brush your new curls for a tousled voluminous look.
5. Apply extra-gloss hairspray or regular hairspray for more control and luster.
In his video, hair and make-up artist Armin Morbach demonstrates how to create very soft curls without the use of curlers or a curling iron.
We hope you find some inspiration among the curly hairstyles of the stars in our gallery.
Video: Creating Naturally Looking Curls