Hair may lose its luster due to various conditions. Stress, vitamin deficiency, hard water or UV rays are causes for dull looking hair and so is improper hair care and styling. Only healthy hair with smooth outer cuticles will reflect light. It is this light reflection to which hair owes its deep shine. Shampoo can help restore this shine, especially specific shampoos for shiny hair. Stress and structural deficiencies or damage to the cuticles will dull the natural luster of hair.
Fortunately, there are quick remedies to make hair shiny and shampoos for dull looking hair.
Emergency Care to Restore Luster to Dull Hair
- Use extra-gloss hairspray after styling. Hairspray contains light-reflecting ingredients and can provide instant luster in conjunction with shiny hair shampoo.
- Leave-in conditioners and hair oil restore the hair’s supple nature and add shine. Special hair care products with keratin and certain shampoos used to make hair shiny help to strengthen hair and keep structural damage at bay.
- Extra conditioning of the hair ends (e.g. a conditioning serum) seal and smoothen the hair cuticles for more luster.
- After shampooing with shine shampoo, briefly rinse your hair with cold water. As a result, the hair cuticles will resume their natural smooth configuration, which allows the hair to shine.
- Allow your hair to air-dry after washing it with a shine shampoo. Drying with warm or hot air will distort the cuticle layer around the hair. This and the excessive loss of moisture dull your hair.
Methods to Keep the Lustre in Your Hair for the Duration
- Hair needs to be healthy to show its natural luster. The regular use of hair conditioners, shine shampoos and treatments goes a long way toward keeping the luster in your hair.
- Residual styling products in the hair will dull its shine. Therefore, it is important to shine shampoo your hair thoroughly. Brushing your hair before bedtime also removes excessive styling products. As additional benefit, brushing stimulates the sebum production.
- Condition your hair after every shine shampoo. Shampoos weaken the hair’s outer cuticle layer while conditioners help to restore their natural smooth configuration.
- Use only hair care products (shampoos for shiny hair, conditioning treatments), which are designed for your hair type. Using unsuitable hair care products often results in limp, oily or dry hair.
- Ideally, you should use hair care products (shine shampoos included) of the same series because the ingredients work together harmoniously to create optimal results.
- The hair ends are especially prone to a loss of luster. If using a shine shampoo doesn't help, cutting the hair ends regularly is a very efficient remedy for dull looking ends.
- Also avoid stress to your hair structure as much as possible. Hair accessories such as scrunchies and bobby pins can harm the hair structure and dull your hair. Improper brushing or brushing too frequently also reduces the hair’s natural luster and steals the shine shampoo provides.