- Protect your hair during the summer months and don’t swim with it unprotected. UVA and UVB rays are just as harmful to your hair as they are to your skin. Repeated sun exposure will leave your hair damaged and dry, while fading your dye-job. Make sure you are using Schwarzkopf Omega Repair and Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner throughout the summer months to protect against ultraviolet rays. Similarly, salt water and chlorine can wreak havoc on hair, drying it out, causing split ends, and stripping color. Collins recommends applying Omega Repair and Moisture Sublime Hair Beautifier 11-in-1 before hitting the pool or ocean.
- Be conscious of how tightly you style your hair. Styles that pull too tightly on your scalp can lead to hair breakage and damage. Instead, Collins says to choose loose braids, buns, and ponytails, using thicker elastics, which are gentler on your hair. And it’s important to alternate the way you put it up so you're not always stressing the same strands.
- Take care of your scalp. Your hair follicles are a millimeter under your scalp, but most of us never think of attending to them. Collins recommends applying a hair mask weekly to exfoliate, moisturize, and help minimize flaking while soothing the scalp. If you have color-treated hair, Schwarzkopf Diamond Color and Care Illuminating Mask is a great option or, for more damaged hair, try Schwarzkopf Omega Repair and Moisture Supreme Hair Treatment.
- Be smart when heat styling. Although it makes your hair look smooth and sleek, Collins says heat styling can lead to frizz and heavy-duty breakage. It’s worth the investment to purchase professional tools that offer different heat settings and, in the case of flat irons and curling wands, display the temperature. Hair dryers should have a diffuser to help distribute heat more evenly. And if you must use heat when styling, make sure to arm your strands with heat protection first. Schwarzkopf Crystal Shine and Hold Heat Protection Shine Spray is a great defense against heat styling damage.
- Make this the month you make your hair’s nutrition a priority. Eat a balanced diet full of nutrient rich foods, and take care of your hair, the way you do your skin. Protect it from nature’s harmful elements, and treat the stresses you put on it daily, with your favorite Schwarzkopf products.